So you sent in your resume and now you have an interview next Thursday. Now what? Don’t just pace and eat chocolate – get constructive.
- Get a haircut. Don’t wait until the day before – those funny tan lines will give it away.
- Research, research, research. Not just on the company website but newspapers, trade magazines, linkedin – the whole nine yards. Find out what’s been happening lately – awards, new projects, new executives.
- Layout your clothes to make sure you have everything you need including shoes and socks that are clean and neat.
- Think about what you will need to bring with you and what you want to put it in. You can go with a briefcase, folio or satchel. I would avoid a huge purse or backpack – too distracting. It looks like you are sleeping over, not just there for a meeting.
- Print several copies of your resume on nice paper. Gather any reference letters, articles, awards and make copies of them, too. When you offer a copy of your resume to the interviewer, you can also offer some of the other material. It makes you look organized and accomplished.
- You might want to have a nice pen with you too. It adds an extra bit of polish when you whip it out to make notes.
I hate to point out the obvious but don’t bring:
- Your dog
- Your Timmie’s medium double double (even if it’s still warm)
- Anything that rings, beeps or buzzes
Remember that an interview is just a conversation about a potential shared future. Take a deep breath and enjoy it.