Imagine you are nearing the end of a great interview and the manager asks if you have any questions. You feel like everything has been covered so you say thanks and leave.
You have missed a really important chance to cement the fact that you are a thoughtful and smart candidate and to learn more about the role. Do not let this chance go to waste.
Here are some questions to have in your back pocket.
- How will you know if I am being successful in six months?
- What challenges lie ahead for this department?
- What are the characteristics of your top people in this role?
- Why did you join this organization?
- Is there a sense of community here?
- How would you describe the style of the senior leadership team?
I am sure there are lots more but this should be enough to get you started. Feel free to customize these for your interests and situation.
Here’s the icing on the cake: work at least one of the things you learned into your thank you note. Bazinga!